RULES: Produce/ Flower Competitions
PRODUCE AND FLOWER ARRANGEMENT COMPETITIONS - GENERAL RULES AND REGULATIONS
1. Koochiching County Residents and anyone within 25 miles of the Koochiching County line may enter in the;
Farm Market Garden Produce, Giant Pumpkin, and Flower Arrangements Competitions.
**There are no distance restrictions for children 18 yrs. & under entering the Children's Flower Arrangement Competition.
2. All rules and regulations will be strictly adhered to.
3. No exhibitor will be allowed to make more than one entry in the Garden Display or Flower Arrangement Competition.
4. Vegetables and fruits must have been raised by the participant.
5. Entries must be of good quality and free of insects and obvious insect damage or they will be disqualified from the competition.
6. Entry time is Friday, Aug. 12th, 5-7 p.m and on Saturday, August 13th from 8 - 11 AM for;
Garden Produce, Garden Displays, Flower Arrangements , Photography
7. Judging will begin Saturday, Aug. 13th from 11 a.m.
8. Each entry must be tagged before being put on exhibit.
9. All entries must remain on exhibit until Sunday, August 14th, 3 p.m.
*(Entries may be picked up after 3 p.m. Sunday.
FARM MARKET PRODUCE COMPETITION
*Please bring your best garden produce item to enter in the competition.
A TWENTY DOLLAR ($20) first prize and a TEN DOLLAR ($10) second place prize will be awarded to the winners of each of the (14) produce categories listed below;
First and Second Place prizes will be awarded to the winners of each of the thirteen (14) produce categories.
Produce entries will be judged on market quality.
RULES GOVERNING COMPETITION ENTRIES ARE AS FOLLOWS;
1. RED POTATOES – Entry will consist of (6) specimens.
2. RUSSET POTATOES – Entry will consist of (6) specimens.
3. YELLOW POTATOES – Entry will consist of (6) specimens
4. CUCUMBER (SLICING) –Entry will consist of (4) specimens with 1/2inch (attached) stems
5. CUCUMBER (PICKLING)- Entry will consist of(4) specimens with 1/2inch (attached) stems.
6. CARROTS – Entry will consist of(4) specimens displayed with tops trimmed to 1 to 2 inches.
7. APPLES (ANY VARIETY) –Entry will consist of (3) specimens with (attached) stem and one or more leaves.
8. BEETS – Entry will consist of (4) specimens with (attached) tops trimmed to 1½ to 2 inches, and (attached) roots trimmed to a uniform ½ inch length
9. SWEET CORN (ANY VARIETY) – Entry will consist of (4) specimens displayed with unopened husks
10. PEPPERS (GREEN BELL ONLY) – Entry will consist of (4) specimens displayed with ½ inch (attached) stems.
11. TOMATO – Entry will consist of (4) specimens displayed with ½ inch (attached) stems.
12. GREEN BEANS – Entry will consist of (6) specimens displayed with ½ inch (attached) stems.
13. ONIONS (WHITE OR YELLOW) - Entry will consist of (4) cleaned, but not completely peeled. Trim tops to 1 to 2 inches in length and trim roots to a uniform ½ inch length.
14. PEAS (SHELL PEAS) - Entry will consist of 6 specimens (pods) with 1/2 inch stem attached
MAPLE SYRUP - Judged upon taste, consistency and color. Enter in pints only. First Place is $20 / Second Place is $10
YEAST BREADS - LOAF BREADS - Judged upon appearance, texture and taste. Entry will consist of one loaf of yeast baked bread, either, white or wheat in sealed clear plastic bag. First Place is $20 / Second Place is $10
GIANT PUMPKIN COMPETITION Winner will be determined by weight. First Place is $20 / Second Place is $10
GARDEN DISPLAY A minimum of ten (10) garden items displayed for effect. Entry will be judged on produce quality and display technique. First Place is $50 / Second Place is $25
FLOWER ARRANGEMENT *This completion is for both adult and children.
Any natural botanical materials may be used that the entrant has gathered, but not purchased. Flowers (tame or wild), foliage, other accent material, all items used in the arrangement may be fresh or dried. Entrants may also use other display materials for appeal and interest. *Entries will be judged on quality and effect.
FLOWER ARRANGEMENT ADULT PRIZES: *First Place is $20 **Second Place is $15 ***Third Place is $10
FLOWER ARRANGENT CHILDREN'S PRIZES: Ages (9 & under); $10 Ages (10-12 yrs.); $10 Ages (13-18 yrs.); $10